THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT!
We invite you to join the California Native Plant Society-San Diego Chapter for a special day of speaker presentations from experts in the field of California native gardening. Our Garden Tour this past April presented numerous examples of long-established California native gardens and other gardens that were in-the-making. Now we follow that up with a thorough introduction to the process of putting together a California native garden. Whether you have been inspired to plant your first native garden or already have an established garden, this workshop will offer solid insight into getting it right. We have scheduled this workshop just in advance of the best season of the year to plant a California native garden.
LEARN HOW TO
- Design a California Native Plant Garden: Scoping your site for exposures, landscaping considerations, soils and drainage, and choosing an aesthetic.
- Plant Selection: Finding the specific native plants that will thrive in your climate and particular garden environment. Using online tools to help you select.
- Planting, Watering, and Mulching: An expert panel will explain the techniques and answer your questions.
- Maintenance and Evaluation: Pruning, weed and pest control, shaping your aesthetic, and how to evaluate what is going right or wrong with your garden.
There will be five sessions in all, including a keynote address from Mike Evans, founder of Tree of Life Nursery. The 4th session of the day will be a moderated panel of experts answering numerous participant questions. The final session will be a co-presentation by two experts in the field.
- Muffins, coffee, snacks, & university-catered boxed lunches are included with your ticket.
- Select seeds and books will be available for purchase at the workshop as well as other educational materials for you to take home and enhance the day's knowledge.
- Native plants available for purchase from Moosa Creek Nursery and Tree of Life Nursery from 8:00am-1:00pm. Representatives from the nurseries can help you select and we can hold your purchased plants for pickup at the end of the workshop.
- Stroll the coastal native plantings during lunch on the UCSD-Scripps Seaside Forum campus
General Registration $55
PARKING & CHECK-IN INFO FOR ATTENDEES
-If you require a VEGAN OR GLUTEN-FREE LUNCH please email us at email@example.com after purchasing ticket.
-We do not offer REFUNDS but your registration can be TRANSFERRED to a person of your choice.
-STREET PARKING is available as well as PARKING PASSES issued at designated lots on morning of event.
8:00-9:00am Registration, Coffee and Muffins, Plant Sale
9:00am KEYNOTE ADDRESS: A WALK THROUGH YOUR NATURAL GARDEN
Mike Evans (President, Tree of Life Nursery)
10:00am NATIVE GARDEN DESIGN NUTS 'N BOLTS
Clayton Tschudy (Owner of CJT Ecologics and Former Director of Horticulture & Exhibits at Water Conservation Garden)
11:00am NATIVE PLANT SELECTION FOR YOUR GARDEN-THE NATURE RESTORATION APPROACH
Dennis Mudd (Founder of Calscape.com and Winner of San Diego Home and Garden’s Garden of the Year Award in 2012)
12:00pm Lunch (boxed lunch included), Plant Sale continues until 1pm
1:00pm INSTALLATION: THE FUNDAMENTALS OF PLANTING, WATERING, AND MULCHING
A panel of experts moderated by Clayton Tschudy:
-Mike Gonzales (Founding Member, San Diego Pollinator Alliance and Former Chairperson, CNPS-San Diego Garden Committee)
-Lee Gordon (CNPS-San Diego Writer and Committee Champion of Gardening and Propagation best practices)
-Diane Kennedy (Founder, Finch Frolic Demonstration Garden in Fallbrook)
-Don Rideout (Co-Founder and Past President, Anza-Borrego Desert Botany Society and Plant Selection Editor for Calscape.org)
2:15pm YOUR NATIVE GARDEN: CARE AND MAINTENANCE
A presentation by the co-authors of "The California Native Landscape: The Homeowners’ Design Guide to Restoring its Beauty and Balance" and "The Drought-Defying California Garden"
-Lucy Warren (Author, Master Gardener, and Former Editor of California Garden magazine)
-Greg Rubin (President and Founder of California’s Own Native Landscape Design, Inc., Author, and a Licensed Landscape Contractor)